News

MAKATI LAUNCHES SUMMER JOB PROGRAMS FOR YOUTH

The city government of Makati through its Public Employment Service Office (PESO) will launch two summer youth employment programs on April 30, Monday, 8am at the City Hall Quadrangle.

Mayor Jejomar Erwin S. Binay will lead the launching of the Government Internship Program (GIP) and Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) together with key officials of partner-agencies, including the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) regional and field offices covering Makati.

Binay said the two programs provide students and out-of-school youth the opportunity to experience working in government and private offices and, at the same time, earn much-needed income.

“The GIP and SPES help in the development of young participants because of the training they receive through working in an actual office setting.  They are also able to earn money for their school needs in time for the opening of classes, and help provide for the subsistence of their families,” Binay said.

The mayor also urged the participants to heed the advice of DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz, who has encouraged them to get involved in the advocacies, programs, projects and activities of host-LGUs, especially those aimed to address environmental concerns and promote a green and healthy environment.

The Makati PESO has coordinated with the DOLE in the implementation of SPES, which is in line with R.A. 9547, or “An Act Strengthening and Expanding the Coverage of the Special Program for the Employment of Students,” which amended R.A. 7323, otherwise known as the “Special Program for the Employment of Students.”

On the other hand, PESO is implementing GIP in coordination with the National Youth Commission, in compliance with Executive Order No. 139 or “Kabataan 2000” and Memorandum Order No. 206 which “Enjoins all Departments, Bureaus, Offices, Agencies including Government-Owned and Controlled Corporations to Support the Kabataan 2000.”

The GIP beneficiaries will be rendering 23 working days from April 30 to May 31. Each will receive 75 percent of the daily minimum wage (P426.00) in the private sector, or a total of P7,348.50.

The GIP participants will be assigned at the different offices at the city hall, barangays and government institutions and agencies based in Makati, such as SSS, Landbank of the Philippines, Post Office, MERALCO, DTI and Employees’Compensation Commission among others.

Meanwhile, SPES beneficiaries will be assigned at different offices at City Hall, the barangays, and in the school where they came from, including Makati public high schools and University of Makati. They will work for 20 working days from April 30 to May 25. Each will receive P7,535,60 or 75 percent of the daily minimum wage at the public sector, 60 percent of which will come from the city government of Makati and the remaining 40 percent from the DOLE.

Expected to join Binay at the launching are acting city administrator Marjorie A. De Veyra, city councillors and department heads, DOLE-NCR Director Allan Macaraya, OIC-Assistant Regional Director Nelson Hornilla of DOLE-NCR, and Director Rowie Grande, OIC of the DOLE Makati-Pasay Field Office.

 

 


6 Comments

View Forum discussion