News

Mayor Abby: City Hall, OsMak, all public schools, 46 private buildings 'declared safe'

PRESS RELEASE

April 24, 2019

Ref.: Makati ICRD, 8998938

 

 

Mayor Abby: City Hall, OsMak, all public schools, 46 private buildings 'declared safe'

 

 

Makati Mayor Abby Binay today said 95 buildings in the city have been declared safe for occupancy after a magnitude 6.1 quake hit Zambales and was felt at Intensity V in Makati last Monday. These include all public elementary and secondary schools in the city, University of Makati (UMak), Ospital ng Makati (OsMak), three City Hall buildings, and 46 private buildings.

 

The mayor said a total of 113 buildings consisting of 67 public facilities and 46 private buildings had been inspected to date, according to reports from inspection teams deployed Tuesday from City Hall to inspect and assess the structural integrity of public and private structures in the city. Of these, 18 health centers require further evaluation by city engineers, apart from the covered court in Brgy. Sta. Cruz which was found with some visible cracks.

 

Mayor Abby also said there were no casualties and injured persons from Monday’s tremor, based on the latest reports from the Makati Commercial Estate Association (MACEA), the Makati Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) and the different barangays. 

 

Earlier, the mayor ordered the Office of the Building Official (OBO) and the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) to take the lead in conducting inspections on private buildings and public facilities in the city, respectively.

 

A total of 18 inspection teams from the OBO, DEPW, MDRRMO, General Services Department, Makati Health Department, Bureau of Fire Protection and Department of Education-Makati have been formed and mobilized starting Tuesday.

 

The mayor also called on building administrators to coordinate with the OBO to schedule an inspection of their buildings, which she said could be done jointly with their own team of experts.

 

Last Tuesday, Mayor Abby held a command conference with key officials of the Makati DRRM Council to discuss measures being taken to determine the impact of the quake. 

 

At the meeting, personnel from the Makati DRRMO presented progress reports on the ongoing inspections being conducted on private buildings and government facilities by the inspection teams.

 

To facilitate coordination with private companies in times of disaster, Mayor Abby stressed the need for a point person or a single source of information in each of some 2,020 private buildings in the city, who will be tasked to promptly report on the condition of their respective buildings to the Makati command center (C3).

 

She also urged barangay leaders to be proactive and take the initiative in updating the DRRMO through C3 on the situation in their communities, rather than wait for the latter to ask them for a status report.

 

Mayor Abby said a hierarchical information system is also essential to allow for efficient and effective dissemination of information. 

 

First, barangay officials should contact the DRRMO and report the situation on the ground. Security guards should call the DRRMO in case there are no barangay officials available on the scene. If no one contacts or reports to the DRRMO, then personnel from the Makati Public Safety Department will be dispatched to the barangays and the business district to gather updates from the community and report these to DRRMO.

 

Mayor Abby also said there should be pre-assigned pick-up and drop-off points for the provision of free shuttle services to stranded passengers.

 

The mayor also asked the DRRMO to prioritize the installation of a uniform siren system for the entire city so residents and employees would simultaneously hear the sound of the alarm, alerting them to evacuate.

 

Mayor Abby said the city government has been conducting annual earthquake drills and building inspections in preparation for "The Big One."

 

Moreover, the city has provided public school students with hard hats and emergency "go bags", which contain a hygiene kit, food bars, glow sticks, first aid kit, emergency rope, pocket knife, thermal blanket, tube tent, respiratory masks, and radio.

 

The mayor also urged residents whose houses are built on top of the West Valley Fault to relocate, adding the city government will provide them with financial assistance.

 

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology earlier said the West Valley Fault might trigger a 7.2-magnitude earthquake that could kill around 30,000 people.

 

The 100-kilometer West Valley Fault passes through 42 barangays in Quezon City, Marikina, Pasig, Makati, Taguig, Muntinlupa and 30 barangays in Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite, and Laguna, while the East Valley Fault covers Rodriguez and San Mateo towns in Rizal.

 

(30)

 

 

 


Create News Discussion